Faith Formation for Youth (6th-12th grade)
The goal of youth ministry at Second Presbyterian is the transformation of lives through relationship with God and with one another. At Second, we believe that young people need opportunities for meaningful experiences of faith, authentic relationships with other youth and with adults, and the freedom to play joyfully together. We seek to provide these opportunities throughout the program year and during the summer for the 80+ youth who are involved in our programs.
Sunday School is offered September – May at 9:45 a.m. (beginning Sept. 18, 2022).
*View the 2022-23 Christian Education Booklet for details about educational opportunities for all ages!
Sunday School for Youth
- Middle School Compass Class (The Intersection): 6th & 7th Grade Youth
- This middle school class will explore faith and build upon the basics they learn as children, connecting scripture with their daily lives. This fall, the class will be using the PC(USA)’s Faith Questions curriculum to respond to real faith questions posed by Presbyterian youth from across the denomination. Each unit encourages young people to look to Scripture, as well as our faith traditions, in relevant and responsive ways.
- Confirmation Class (The Intersection): 8th Grade or Older Youth
- Confirmation means study and commitment to the major teachings of the Christian faith. This year, our combined class will follow the Confirm Not Conform confirmation curriculum, which helps youth claim their place in the priesthood of all believers. By engaging youth in Scripture, tradition, reason, and experience, Confirm not Conform empowers youth for ministry and empowers them to think deeply about their own faith. Teachers and mentors build important and lasting relationships with the young people of this class, and work as a team to support and love these students throughout the year and beyond. This year’s confirmation class (which traditionally takes place in 8th or 9th grade) is open to all youth who are in 8th grade or older who seek to be confirmed as full, active members of the church.
- Sr. High Coffee and Conversation (The Intersection / Visiting other churches): 9th – 12th Grade Youth
- The Senior High Sunday School will be a conversation-based class focused on scripture and how it relates to our everyday lives. This class encourages youth to be vocal about the questions they have about faith, seek understanding from one another, from scripture, and from tradition, and explore aspects of faith through fun and fellowship. In the spring, the class will learn about the traditions and worship of Presbyterians, but will also explore different denominations, even visiting worship at a few nearby churches. If students can’t be present every week, we still encourage them to come whenever they are able. Volunteers often provide breakfast, so come hungry!
Youth Group – Lighthouse of Love!
- Sunday nights, 5:00-6:30 p.m. at the Intersection, 6th-12th Graders and Youth Advisors
- Middle and High-school Youth gather to build relationships and connect with each other and with God. This time is set apart to enjoy food, fellowship, and fun while exploring various aspects of faith. This year’s Youth Group theme is Lighthouse of Love! We will explore the various aspects of faith that call us to be the light in the world, as we reflect and follow the light of Christ’s love. We begin each evening with a shared meal, and then share in some faith-filled fun! Friends are welcome to join!
- Interested in joining this wonderful group? Contact Ben Brannan, Associate Pastor for Youth and Young Adults.
- Wednesday nights, 6:30-8:00 p.m. at homes of church members, High School Girls
- Every other Wednesday, starting September 21, 2022, high school girls gather to take a break from their hectic schedules, check in with each other, and enjoy moments of connection and learning. These nights center around a shared meal and an activity—devotional, craft, game—and the bonds created are long-lasting and meaningful. This group is led by Valerie Brannan and Rebekah Gunn. Contact Ben Brannan for more information.
- First Tuesday nights, Locations vary, Middle & High School Boys
- Midweek Man-Night is a Tuesday evening gathering for middle school and senior high boys (starting October 4, 2022). The group offers young men of our church an opportunity to grow in faith together. Activities may include some form of outdoor fun, indoor game, a meal/fellowship and conversation. The times of each event will be determined by the scheduled activity. Contact Ben Brannan if your son is interested in joining this group.
All Youth Retreat
- Every fall we take a giant group of youth and advisors to a beautiful outdoor setting for a fun and meaningful retreat. The 2022 retreat will be held on October 1-2 at Craig Springs Camp & Retreat Center. We look forward to a weekend of organized craziness, deep connections, and faithful worship!
- Every year in November, our middle school students collect and deliver food for the Presbyterian Community Center. This year Hunger Busters delivery is set for November 20, 2022, and the group will eat lunch at the church, pack up all donations, deliver, and then sort at the PCC. What a great opportunity to provide food for Thanksgiving for those in need. Donations will be accepted starting October 30.
Trunk or Treat
- The Youth of Second Presbyterian Church invite the surrounding neighborhood of Old Southwest, Highland Park Elementary School families, and the Second Pres. Preschool and Children’s Ministry for a night of SPOOKtacular fun! We will have cars decorated and ready to pass out candy, warm hotdogs and popcorn ready to be eaten, and friends and family ready to welcome you!
- This year, Trunk or Treat takes place on October 30, 2022 in our church parking lot located on Mountain Ave between 2nd and 3rd Street. We will collect canned-food donations that will go to support the Presbyterian Community Center. Happy Halloween!
- One Sunday each year, the youth are responsible for the leadership of both morning worship services. They sing, pray, read scripture, preach, usher, and plan the entire service. It is always encouraging to learn from them and see their leadership in action. In addition, it is tradition to hear sermons prepared by all high school seniors who want to preach. Youth Sunday 2023 is scheduled for February 5. Planning will begin in early January.
Morning VBS Volunteering
- Volunteering for Vacation Bible School is our highest attended youth summer activity. More than 40 youth join us every summer as volunteer leaders. After VBS each day we plan a fun activity to thank volunteers for their hard work.
Senior High Mission Trip
- Every other summer our High School youth go on a domestic mission trip. In 2019, we traveled to Knox County, Kentucky to work with Appalachia Service Project and completed minor home repairs for families in need. Past trips include Harlan County in Kentucky, Broad Street Ministry in Philadelphia, and Beth El Farmworker Ministry in Florida. Our next domestic mission trip will be in the summer of 2023.
Bibles and Bricks trip to San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic
- Every other summer we take a trip of high school and college aged youth to the Dominican Republic to work with Solid Rock International. We lead VBS for kids in the neighborhood, help with construction projects at the new hospital, and we spend time with our friends at Solid Rock. Our church has had a long-term partnership with this incredible ministry, and we are glad for the chance for our youth to experience the work they are doing. Our 2022 mission trip took place July 9-16, and we look forward to returning in the future!
Massanetta Springs Middle School Conference
- Each summer we take a group of middle school students to the Middle School Conference at Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center. This trip provides opportunities for our middlers to learn, grow, play, and experience faith together.
Montreat Youth Conference
- This trip is open to all rising 9th graders through graduated high school seniors. They are invited to join us each summer for the Youth Conference at Montreat Conference Center in Montreat, North Carolina where our youth welcome the opportunity to learn and grow, make new friends from churches across the country, and relax together in a beautiful and fun environment.