Faith Formation for Youth (6th-12th grade)
The goal of youth ministry at Second Presbyterian is the transformation of lives through relationship with God and with one another. At Second, we believe that young people need opportunities for meaningful experiences of faith, authentic relationships with other youth and with adults, and the freedom to play joyfully together. We seek to provide these opportunities throughout the program year and during the summer for the 80+ youth who are involved in our programs.
Sunday School is offered September – May. Though much of the 2020-21 year will be offered through digital lessons and videos, we will continue to worship God and we will keep you informed of a hopeful return to doing so in person!
*Click HERE to view our 2020-21 Christian Education Booklet with details about education opportunities for all ages!
Sunday School for Youth
- Youth Sunday school moves online this year as teachers and pastors tell Bible stories that will be uploaded to the youth Instagram account: @2pc_youth, as well as the Second Presbyterian Church YouTube channel. These videos are designed to inform and inspire in five minutes or less, and they can be accessed anytime.
- Youth involvement with children’s Sunday school: This year, high school and middle school youth are invited to participate in teaching Bible stories to their younger siblings in Christ through active dramatization or through script reading. Interested youth will help create short Bible story videos that will become vital components for our children’s Sunday school curriculum. For youth willing to video themselves reading or acting out a story (scripts will be provided), please contact Ben Brannan.
Youth Group – Live in Love
- Due to the level of uncertainty we face this fall, our in-person gatherings will be scheduled month by month. Please refer to weekly email communication for the most up to date information as activities are subject to change (contact Ben Brannan to be added to the email list).
- Whenever possible, youth group will meet in-person, outside, typically on the third Sunday of the month. Middle school and high school will meet separately, and RSVP’s are required. When we gather in person, middle school will meet from 4:00-5:00 p.m. and high school will meet from 5:15-6:15 p.m. Social distancing requirements will be observed.
- Virtual Zoom Game Nights will occur the second Sunday of every month from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Beginning in October 2020, Youth Group will meet on the first Sunday of the month from 5:00-6:00 p.m. via Zoom to design February’s Youth Sunday service.
- Contact Ben Brannan with questions or to RSVP and for Zoom links.
- Every other Wednesday, high school girls gather virtually or at the home of a church member for dinner and crafts, conversation and devotions. The group is well attended and has provided a safe space for girls to connect and grow. Midweek Manna is currently scheduled to meet via Zoom between 5:00-6:00 p.m. Midweek Manna will resume meeting in homes as soon as it is safe to do so. If your daughter is interested in participating, please contact Christal Pearson.
- Midweek Man-night is a Tuesday evening gathering for senior high boys. This group alternates between hiking activities when possible and interactive Zoom Bible study. Hikes run from 5:30-7:30 p.m.; Zoom meetings run from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Please email church member Ken Lyons for more info and Zoom links.
All Youth Retreat
Every fall we take a giant group of youth and advisors to Claytor Lake for a fun and meaningful retreat. The date for this year’s retreat is TBD.
Every year in November, our Middle School students collect and deliver food for the Presbyterian Community Center.
One Sunday each year, the youth are responsible for the leadership of both morning worship services. They sing, pray, read scripture, preach, usher, and plan the entire service. It is always encouraging to learn from them and see their leadership in action. Youth Sunday 2021 was filmed on smartphones, tablets, and Zoom–a true Church Beyond Walls experience! The online worship service from February 7, 2021 can be viewed HERE.
Morning VBS Volunteering
Volunteering for Vacation Bible School is our highest attended youth summer activity. 40+ youth join us every summer as volunteer leaders. After VBS each day we plan a fun activity to thank volunteers for their hard work.
Senior High Mission Trip
Every other summer our High School youth go on a domestic mission trip. In 2019, we traveled to Knox County, Kentucky to work with Appalachia Service Project and completed minor home repairs for families in need. Past trips include Harlan County in Kentucky, Broad Street Ministry in Philadelphia, and Beth El Farmworker Ministry in Florida.
Bibles and Bricks trip to San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic
Every other summer we take a trip of high school and college aged youth to the Dominican Republic to work with Solid Rock International. We lead VBS for kids in the neighborhood, and spend time with our friends at Solid Rock. Our church has had a long term partnership with this incredible ministry, and we are glad for the chance for our youth to experience the work they are doing.
Massanetta Springs Middle School Conference
Each summer we take a group of middle school students to the Middle School Conference at Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center. This trip provides opportunities for our middlers to learn, grow, play, and experience faith together.
Montreat Youth Conference
All high school students are invited to join us each summer for the Youth Conference at Montreat Conference Center in Montreat, North Carolina. Our youth love the chance to learn and grow, make new friends from churches across the country, and relax together in a beautiful and fun environment.