Faith Formation for Youth (6th-12th grade)
The goal of youth ministry at Second Presbyterian is the transformation of lives through relationship with God and with one another. At Second, we believe that young people need opportunities for meaningful experiences of faith, authentic relationships with other youth and with adults, and the freedom to play joyfully together. We seek to provide these opportunities throughout the program year and during the summer for the 80+ youth who are involved in our programs.
Sunday School is offered September – May. This year, every class is encouraged to wear masks when meeting indoors, and all classes will be led by vaccinated teachers.
*Click HERE to view our 2021-22 Christian Education Booklet with details about educational opportunities for all ages!
Sunday School for Youth
Youth Sunday School resumes after Rally Day, September 12, 2021 at The Intersection.
- 6th & 7th Grade Middle School Class (The Intersection, Upstairs)
- Sixth and seventh graders will explore faith and build upon the basics they learn as children, connecting scripture with their daily lives. This fall, the class will be using the PC(USA)’s Faith Questions curriculum to respond to real faith questions posed by Presbyterian youth from across the denomination. Each unit encourages young people to look to Scripture, as well as our faith traditions, in relevant and responsive ways.
- 8th & 9th Grade Confirmation (Chapel, Outdoors)
- Confirmation will meet in the Chapel each Sunday morning (unless notified of change) with outdoor small group time. This year, our confirmation class will be a combined class of 8th and 9th grade youth. Since we postponed last year’s class, this will be a unique and new experience. It will still afford faithful conversation, deep exploration of what we/you believe, and an opportunity to grow alongside peers and mentors. Teachers and mentors build important and lasting relationships with the young people of this class, and work as a team to support and love these students throughout the year and beyond. This year’s class will be led by Ken Lyons, John Johnson, Christal Pearson, Carolyn Sharpe, and Ben Brannan. A complementary adult confirmation class will be offered from September 12 through the end of October.
- Senior High Sunday School (10th – 12th Grade, The Intersection)
- The Senior High Sunday School will be a conversation-based class focused on scripture and how it relates to our everyday lives. In the spring, the class will learn about the traditions and worship of Presbyterians, but will also explore different denominations, even visiting worship at a few other nearby churches. If students can’t be present every week, we still encourage them to come whenever they are able. Volunteers often provide breakfast, so come hungry!
Youth Group – We Are One
- We are back for in-person gatherings starting Rally Day, September 12, 2021. We begin our youth program year with a Kickoff Cookout at the Intersection from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Following dinner, the youth will enjoy fun games and icebreakers led by Youth Council members and Youth Advisors. Parents and adults are invited for an informational meeting following dinner. You are encouraged to bring your calendars to this meeting.
- Youth Group happens every Sunday night at the Intersection from 5:00-6:30 p.m. We share a meal, play games, learn and fellowship together…and have lots of fun!! Even if you cannot come every week, you (and your friends) are always welcome!!
- Our theme for this year is WE ARE ONE—one in the Spirit, one in Baptism, one at the Table, one in Giving, one in Faith, one in Community, one as we work and worship! Interested in joining this wonderful group? Contact Ben Brannan, Associate Pastor for Youth and Young Adults.
- Every other Wednesday, starting September 22, 2021, high school girls gather at the home of a church member for dinner, crafts, conversation and devotions. The group is well attended and has provided a safe space for girls to connect and grow. If your daughter is interested in participating, please contact Christal Pearson.
- Midweek Man-Night is a Tuesday evening gathering for middle school and senior high boys (starting September 21, 2021). This group alternates between outdoor activities and dinner at the homes of church members. Gathering details will be sent out the week before. Please contact Ben Brannan if your son is interested in joining this group.
All Youth Retreat
- Every fall we take a giant group of youth and advisors to Claytor Lake for a fun and meaningful retreat. The 2021 retreat was held on September 25-26. We had a great weekend of organized craziness, deep connections, and faithful worship, and we’re already looking forward to next year’s retreat!
- Every year in November, our middle school students collect and deliver food for the Presbyterian Community Center. This year Hunger Busters delivery is set for November 21, 2021, and the group will eat lunch at the church, pack up all donations, deliver, and then sort at the PCC. What a great opportunity to provide food for Thanksgiving for those in need. Donations will be accepted starting October 31.
- One Sunday each year, the youth are responsible for the leadership of both morning worship services. They sing, pray, read scripture, preach, usher, and plan the entire service. It is always encouraging to learn from them and see their leadership in action. In addition, it is tradition to hear sermons prepared by all high school seniors who want to preach. Youth Sunday 2022 is scheduled for February 6. Planning will begin in early January. Last year’s Youth Sunday was a virtual service, and it can be viewed HERE.
Morning VBS Volunteering
- Volunteering for Vacation Bible School is our highest attended youth summer activity. More than 40 youth join us every summer as volunteer leaders. After VBS each day we plan a fun activity to thank volunteers for their hard work.
Senior High Mission Trip
- Every other summer our High School youth go on a domestic mission trip. In 2019, we traveled to Knox County, Kentucky to work with Appalachia Service Project and completed minor home repairs for families in need. Past trips include Harlan County in Kentucky, Broad Street Ministry in Philadelphia, and Beth El Farmworker Ministry in Florida. Our next domestic mission trip will be in the summer of 2023.
Bibles and Bricks trip to San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic
- Every other summer we take a trip of high school and college aged youth to the Dominican Republic to work with Solid Rock International. We lead VBS for kids in the neighborhood, and we spend time with our friends at Solid Rock. Our church has had a long-term partnership with this incredible ministry, and we are glad for the chance for our youth to experience the work they are doing. Our 2022 trip is scheduled for July 9th-16th. Email Ben Brannan if you are interested in joining.
Massanetta Springs Middle School Conference
- Each summer we take a group of middle school students to the Middle School Conference at Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center. This trip provides opportunities for our middlers to learn, grow, play, and experience faith together.
Montreat Youth Conference
- This trip is open to all rising 9th graders through graduated high school seniors. They are invited to join us each summer for the Youth Conference at Montreat Conference Center in Montreat, North Carolina where our youth welcome the opportunity to learn and grow, make new friends from churches across the country, and relax together in a beautiful and fun environment.