Faith Formation for Children
The goal of the children’s ministry at Second Presbyterian is to nurture spirit and faith as children progress through various developmental stages of faith formation. Through Bible stories, Scripture and multi-sensory activities, children learn about God’s love and grace.
Sunday School is offered September – May. Though much of the 2020-21 year will be offered through digital lessons and videos, we will continue to worship God and we will keep you informed of a hopeful return to doing so in person!
*Click HERE to view our 2020-21 Christian Education Booklet with details about education opportunities for all ages!
Classes offered for Children
Traditionally, Second Presbyterian Church has grouped Christian Education programs by age or grade. This year, we are letting parents decide which program is appropriate for their children. If a six-month-old wants to join in on CWW this year, hurrah! If a 13-year-old wants to join the family in the Sunday school video or choir song, the more the merrier!
- Children, Worship, & Wonder (CWW): Young children need a special environment where they can meet and worship God. We hope to help create that space through video storytelling from our own Children’s Worship Center. Each week, volunteer storytellers from Second Presbyterian Church will record beautifully told stories from Scripture using guidance and manipulatives from the acclaimed book Young Children and Worship by Sonja M. Stewart and Jerome Berryman. Parents are encouraged to watch along with their children and allow the quiet time and space to explore the wondering questions with each story. CWW stories will be updated weekly on our church YouTube channel. (CWW is traditionally geared toward children ages 4 years old through first grade.)
- Children’s Sunday School & Children’s Music: For this 2020-21 education year, we are embracing a new and innovative format for children’s Sunday school and choir. Using the recently published story Bible Growing in God’s Love, we will explore Old and New Testament stories with the help of our own Youth Group members. Middle and high school youth will contribute weekly storytelling and dramatic play videos for our program. Children’s & Youth Music Director Kristen Smith, along with help from other children’s choir directors, will provide weekly songs and instrumental exercises as a part of each week’s Sunday School video. Complete Sunday School videos will be available weekly on our church YouTube channel, and Rev. Elizabeth Link will provide email updates and lesson response activities for families to enjoy together. You may join in on these lessons and activities during the traditional 10:00 a.m. Sunday School hour, or whenever your family gathers to worship and learn together.
Special Opportunities for Children
- Children’s Music – Participation in Children’s Music 2020-21 (4 years-5th grade) will be virtual as part of the weekly Sunday School lessons, including a virtual Christmas Pageant. We will continue to worship God together through music and keep you informed of a hopeful return to doing so in person!
Children’s Choir Day-treat: June 5
- “Fruits of the Spirit” 9:00-11:30 a.m. at Braeloch Pavilion
4-year-olds through current fifth graders are invited to join Kristen Smith, Rev. Elizabeth Link, and the children’s choir directors for a morning of movement, music, and fellowship at Braeloch Pavilion on Saturday, June 5. In this beautiful open-air space, we will spend time learning and growing together. Please bring your own water, a snack, and wear your sunscreen and play clothes. All children are welcome, regardless of children’s choir participation in the past. We would LOVE to see you, and can’t wait to learn and play together!
- Drop-off and pick-up will be at Braeloch. COVID precautions will be in place and all adult leadership has been vaccinated. The registration link will be shared soon – stay tuned!
Vacation Bible School (ages 4K* – 5th grade) July 26-28 (July 29 Rain Makeup Day)
- Morning VBS “ReNew: Celebrate God’s Creation” 9:00-11:30 a.m. at Braeloch Pavilion
Celebrate God’s creation this summer at our first open-air Morning VBS located at beautiful Braeloch Pavilion in Vinton, VA! Each day, kids will explore Jesus’ Parable of the Sower as they learn to care for God’s creation. 4-year-olds through rising fifth graders are invited to participate, and vaccinated volunteers are needed (Contact Christal Pearson or Elizabeth Link if you are interested in volunteering).
- Registration for church members (this includes church children and grandchildren) will begin on Monday, May 3. Due to current COVID precautions, there will be a cap on each class size, so please register early! Registration for the general public will be open on May 17. No nursery care available. Stay tuned for the registration link!
"Child of God" A Podcast for Children and the Adults Who Love Them
- Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link
- Rev. Elizabeth Link plans to begin season two of her podcast called Child of God. Each episode shares a story about God’s people and the ways we are a part of God’s family. The episodes are brief, but meaningful, and you can catch them while traveling in your car, while doing chores, or getting ready for bedtime, naptime, or to start your day! You may subscribe and listen to Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link through your favorite podcast platform or by visiting our Podcasts page. Check out the introductory episode below!