Faith Formation for Children
The goal of the children’s ministry at Second Presbyterian is to nurture spirit and faith as children progress through various developmental stages of faith formation. Through Bible stories, Scripture and multi-sensory activities, children learn about God’s love and grace.
Sunday School is offered September – May from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
*Click HERE to view our 2019-2020 Christian Education Booklet with details about education opportunities for all ages!
Classes offered for Children
- Nursery (infant, toddler, 2 and 3-year-olds) – The Nursery is available for infants and toddlers during both morning worship services and Sunday School. During the Sunday School hour, teachers lead children through a special age-appropriate class.
- Preschool (4-year-old) – Children will enjoy learning about God’s Word through many learning styles. Age-appropriate lessons feature play, art, music and storytelling.
- The River (K – 3rd Grade) – Kindergarten through third graders enjoy this workshop rotation model for Sunday School, in which they explore a single Bible story for four weeks, visiting different workshops (music & arts, cooking, storytelling/games/drama, and science) in order to experience the same story from different perspectives.
- Faith in Action (4th & 5th Grade) – Children gather to learn about God’s Word for their lives. Once a month, they put God’s Word into action as they join together in mission as the 4th and 5th Grade Faith in Action Mission Club! The class walks through key Old Testament and New Testament Bible stories.
- Children, Worship, & Wonder “CWW” (PK – 1st graders) – During the 11:00 a.m. worship service, children in this age range enjoy a special time of worship and wonder. They learn the stories of our faith and worship God in a setting and style geared toward their needs and stages of development. This special worship experience also includes singing, response time and “the feast.” CWW strives to nurture children’s innate sense of wonder as they develop a sense of awe and reverence for worship.
- Nursery (infant, toddler, 2 and 3-year-olds) – The Nursery is available for infants and toddlers during both morning worship services.
Special Opportunities for Children
- Children’s Choir – Children’s Choir is offered from September – May on Sunday evenings from 5:00-6:15 p.m. Children are invited to gather for dinner in the Fellowship Hall and then join in one of our three children’s choirs:
- Preschool / Kindergarten Choir (ages 4 – Kindergarten)
- 1st and 2nd Grade Choir
- 3rd through 5th Grade Choir
- Kids’ Fellowship – Children ages 4 – 5th Grade are invited to The Intersection on the second Saturday of the month from 6:00-8:00 p.m. for an evening fellowship activity. Events include movies, game night, and other fun activities. Kids’ Fellowship begins September 21, 2019.
- 2019-2020 Dates:
- Sept. 21, Oct. 12, Nov. 9, Dec. 14, Jan. 11, Feb. 8, March 14, April 18 (one week later due to Easter weekend), May 9.
- 2019-2020 Dates:
- Vacation Bible School (ages 4K* – 5th grade)
- After much prayerful consideration, we are excited to announce some very big updates to the 2020 Morning Vacation Bible School for Children and Evening Vacation Bible School for Adults. For years, we have followed traditional formats for both events, but living in the world of COVID-19, we have been pulled to think a little more creatively for Summer 2020. It is with great excitement that we announce Second’s very first Churchwide Staycation Bible School!
- For the month of July, Second will take part in a multi-generational program, focusing on the stories of Jesus at the table and centering around our table life at home. Each week will include a special digital class for adults from the Rev. Jenny McDevitt, as well as children’s VBS programs like energizers, crafts, music, and Bible storytelling for children. Lessons and projects will “drop” digitally on Sunday evenings, and can be enjoyed anytime in the week that follows. The Youth Council has prepared devotion booklets that follow along with each week’s story (copies have been mailed to all youth, rising 6th grade through graduated 12th grade). Each week’s program will include a spiritual practice for your family’s mealtime, as well as a special recipe you can try (knowing your Second family is sharing in the same foods around their tables!).
- Click HERE for more information on Staycation Bible School, July 2020!
"Child of God" A Podcast for Children and the Adults Who Love Them
- Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link
- Join our very own Rev. Elizabeth Link every two weeks for a story about God’s people and the ways we are a part of God’s family! Each episode will close with a few questions; think about them and talk about them with your young people. We hope the stories, whether familiar or new, will help you see God in your everyday. May God hold you close and give you peace. Talk to you soon, child of God.
- Check out the introductory episode below! You can find the full podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Google Play Music, Spotify, the iHeartRadio Podcast Network, and online at www.spres.org/connect/podcasts.