Faith Formation for Children
The goal of the children’s ministry at Second Presbyterian is to nurture spirit and faith as children progress through various developmental stages of faith formation. Through Bible stories, Scripture and multi-sensory activities, children learn about God’s love and grace.
Sunday School is offered September – May at 9:45 a.m.
*View the 2023-24 Christian Education Booklet for details about educational opportunities for all ages!
Classes offered for Children
- Nurseries (Second Floor): Infant, Toddler, and 2’s
The nursery is open and available for infants and toddlers during both morning worship services and Sunday school. During the Sunday school hour, volunteer teachers lead toddlers and the 2-year-olds in a special, age-appropriate class. Nursery staff and volunteers are under the nursery coordinator’s supervision.
- Children, Worship, & Wonder (CWW, Children’s Worship Center, Third Floor): Pre-K through 1st Grade
Young children need a special environment where they can meet and worship God. Following the Children’s Time during the 11:00 a.m. worship service, children (ages pre-k through 1st grade) are excused to the Children’s Worship Center. They learn the stories of our faith and worship God in a setting and style geared toward their needs and stages of development. CWW nurtures children’s innate sense of wonder, as they develop a sense of awe and reverence for worship.
- Preschool (Second Floor): 3’s and 4’s Sunday School
Our 3- and 4-year-old children will enjoy learning about God’s Word through many different learning styles. Teachers work with children using age-appropriate lessons and play through art, music, and storytelling. This class will use curriculum which walks through key Old Testament and New Testament Bible stories each year.
- The River (Third Floor): K through 3rd Grade
Younger elementary aged children will enjoy our Workshop Rotation Model Sunday School called The River, a name the children chose themselves. Using the Spark Rotation curriculum, kindergarten through third graders will spend four weeks on a Bible story, and visit different workshops each week in order to experience the same story from different perspectives. The workshops include “MArts” (Music & Arts), “God’s Table” (Cooking), “Holy Word, Holy Motion” (Bible Storytelling through games and drama), and “Holy Explosion” (Science).
- 4th and 5th Grade Sunday School (Third Floor): 4th & 5th Grade
Each week during Sunday school, 4th & 5th graders will gather together to learn about God’s Word for their lives. Each semester they will have the opportunity to put God’s Words to action as they work together on a special mission project. This class will use Holy Moly curriculum, which walks through key Old Testament and New Testament Bible stories.
Special Opportunities for Children
- Kids’ Fellowship (Sundays 5:00-6:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall): 4-year-olds through 5th Grade
Kids’ Fellowship begins with dinner provided by families for children ages 4 years old through fifth grade. After dinner, the children divide by age and progress through an engaging evening of recreation, art, and music. Children will have the opportunity to run and play, experience Bible stories through Story and Stretch, and enjoy the opportunity to make music through a special music experience.
As part of the Sunday Night Kids’ Fellowship, the Music Experience (formally known as Children’s Choir) will gather upstairs in the Children’s Choir Suite in two separate groups at two separate times—divided by age. Music will focus on FUN, using voices, instruments and movement while preparing a Christmas Pageant to be presented in December and special music for a Sunday worship service in the spring.
Vacation Bible School (ages 4K – 5th grade)
- SAVE THE DATE FOR VBS 2024:
- July 22-25, 2024
- Morning VBS July 24-27, 2023 “Come to the Table: Journey from the first Passover meal to the Last Supper” 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Children ages 4-years-old through rising 5th graders explored Old and New Testament stories from around the table. The Bible reminds us that God’s table has room for us all. From Egypt and Jerusalem to the welcome table, we learned about what it means to be part of the family of God and the ways we are fed and nourished.
"Child of God" A Podcast for Children and the Adults Who Love Them
- Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link
- Join Rev. Elizabeth Link for Child of God, a podcast for children and families. Each episode shares a story about God’s people and the ways we are a part of God’s family. The episodes are brief, but meaningful, and you can catch them while traveling in your car, while doing chores, or getting ready for bedtime, naptime, or to start your day! You may subscribe and listen to Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link through your favorite podcast platform or by visiting our Podcasts page. Check out the introductory episode below!