Faith Formation for Children
The goal of the children’s ministry at Second Presbyterian is to nurture spirit and faith as children progress through various developmental stages of faith formation. Through Bible stories, Scripture and multi-sensory activities, children learn about God’s love and grace.
Sunday School is offered September – May. Children’s Sunday School will take a new and exciting approach for the fall 2021.
*Click HERE to view our 2021-22 Christian Education Booklet with details about educational opportunities for all ages!
Classes offered for Children
**NOTE: All children and volunteers will be masked while indoors for CWW and Children’s Sunday School. All adult volunteers working with unvaccinated children are fully vaccinated for COVID-19.**
- Children, Worship, & Wonder (CWW, Children’s Worship Center, 3rd Floor): Four-Year-Olds through 1st Grade.
Young children need a special environment where they can meet and worship God. Following the Children’s Time during the 11:00 a.m. worship, children (ages 4 years through 1st grade) are excused to the Children’s Worship Center. They learn the stories of our faith and worship God in a setting and style geared toward their needs and stages of development. CWW nurtures children’s innate sense of wonder, as they develop a sense of awe and reverence for worship.
Thanks to a generous gift from the Kittye Susan Trent Fund of Second Presbyterian Church, we have acquired additional curriculum in Following Jesus: More About Young Children and Worship (Sonja M. Stewart). This book and its stories add a whole year of content to our repertoire, with new manipulatives and experiences for our children. We are thrilled to introduce this updated program for the fall.
- Children’s Sunday School @ 10:00 a.m. (The River, 3rd Floor): Children’s Sunday School will take a new and exciting approach for the fall. Beginning on September 19, 2021 (one week after Rally Day), children ages three through fifth grade will meet in the upstairs River classrooms to explore the Bible in fun and creative ways. Broken into three class groups by age, children will learn about Bible stories using the new curriculum Holy Moly, engaging in the story through imagination and hands-on-learning. Starting with the Genesis stories of Abraham and his descendants, children and their teachers will discover the ancestors of our faith. During Advent, they will learn about Luke and Matthew’s Christmas stories, relating to the wonder of shepherds, angels, and Magi. Together each week, volunteers and children will make connections to the Bible story through activities, interactive games, and creative crafts. We hope this Sunday school experience will be a joyful way for children to grow closer to God, God’s Word, and one another.
Special Opportunities for Children
- Sunday Night Kids’ Fellowship – We are thrilled to share the news about our Sunday evening offering for children, ages four through fifth grade. Beginning on Rally Day (Sept. 12, 2021), children are invited to take part in Sunday Night Kids’ Fellowship. This weekly event will take place from 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. on the church playground. The program will provide a healthy outdoor dinner, fun and silly games, a music experience (involving instruments and rhythm games), and kids’ calm time around Scripture with Pastor Elizabeth. Parents are welcome to drop children off for this 90-minute event, or stick around and enjoy the fellowship with us.
- 5:00-5:30 p.m. – Dinner
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. – Games, Music Experience, and Story
Children’s Choir Day-treat: June 5, 2021
- “Fruits of the Spirit” 9:00-11:30 a.m. at Braeloch Pavilion
4-year-olds through current fifth graders joined Kristen Smith, Rev. Elizabeth Link, and the children’s choir directors for a morning of movement, music, and fellowship at Braeloch Pavilion on Saturday, June 5. In this beautiful open-air space, we spent time learning and growing together. COVID precautions were in place and all adult leadership had been vaccinated.
Vacation Bible School (ages 4K* – 5th grade) July 26-28, 2021
- Morning VBS “ReNew: Celebrate God’s Creation” 9:00-11:30 a.m. at Braeloch Pavilion
We had such a blast this summer at “Re-New: The Green VBS”—our first ever outdoor Morning VBS! The children had a fun and educational week learning about the Parable of the Sower and how to care for God’s creation through science projects like purifying water, learning about root systems, planting seed pods and pizza gardens, through art projects, song and dance, and more! They even enjoyed storytelling videos featuring our youth. What a blessed time! We thank all our volunteers for helping to make this a memorable event, and to the Hammonds for sharing their outdoor space at Braeloch. May we all continue to learn and be examples of good stewards as we live, love, and share the earth with all of God’s creation!
"Child of God" A Podcast for Children and the Adults Who Love Them
- Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link
- Join Rev. Elizabeth Link for Child of God, a podcast for children and families. Each episode shares a story about God’s people and the ways we are a part of God’s family. The episodes are brief, but meaningful, and you can catch them while traveling in your car, while doing chores, or getting ready for bedtime, naptime, or to start your day! You may subscribe and listen to Child of God with the Rev. Elizabeth Link through your favorite podcast platform or by visiting our Podcasts page. Check out the introductory episode below!