Faith Formation for Children
The goal of the children’s ministry at Second Presbyterian is to nurture spirit and faith as children progress through various developmental stages of faith formation. Through Bible stories, Scripture and multi-sensory activities, children learn about God’s love and grace.
Church/Sunday School is offered September – May from 10:00am – 11:00am.
Classes offered for Children:
- Nursery (infant, toddler, 2 and 3 year olds) – The Nursery is available for infants and toddlers during both morning worship services and Sunday School. During the Sunday School hour, teachers lead children through a special age-appropriate class.
- Preschool (ages 2-5) – Children will enjoy learning about God’s word through many learning styles. Age-appropriate lessons feature play, art, music and storytelling.
- The River (K – 3rd Grade) – Kindergarten through third graders enjoy this workshop rotation model for Sunday School, in which they explore a single Bible story for four weeks, visiting different workshops (music & arts, cooking, storytelling/games/drama, and science) in order to experience the same story from different perspectives.
- Faith in Action (4th & 5th Grade) – Children gather to learn about God’s word for their lives. Once a month, they put God’s word into action as they join together in mission. The class walks through key Old Testament and New Testament Bible stories.
- Children’s Worship & Wonder, “CWW” (PK – 1st graders) – During the 11am worship service, children in this age range enjoy a special time of worship and wonder. They learn the stories of our faith and worship God in a setting and style geared toward their needs and stages of development. This special worship experience also includes singing, response time and “the feast.” CWW strives to nurture children’s innate sense of wonder as they develop a sense of awe and reverence for worship.
- Nursery (infant, toddler, 2 and 3 year olds) – The Nursery is available for infants and toddlers during both morning worship services.
Special Opportunities for Children
- Children’s Choir – Children’s Choir is offered from September – May on Sunday evenings from 5:00pm – 6:15pm. Children are invited to gather for dinner and then join in one of our children’s choirs.
- Preschool / Kinder Choir (ages 4 – Kindergarten)
- Elementary Choir (Grades 1-2 and grades 3-5) – The Elementary choir meets on a weekly basis and take part in worship and other special opportunities for music.
- Kids’ Fellowship – Children in 4K – 5th Grade are invited to the Intersection on the third Saturday of the month for an evening fellowship activity. Events include movies, pumpkin-carving, Easter egg dyeing and other fun events. Kids’ Fellowship begins in September! Stay tuned!
- Vacation Bible School (ages 4K* – 5th grade) – This July 23rd – 26th from 9am – 12pm, children are invited to join us for “Walking in the Way”! Kids will discover how the ordinary becomes extraordinary with God. We will explore scripture and examine how Jesus showed us to walk in the way. We will see that we have a special place in this ongoing story of faith. Come with your heart, mind, and imagination to participate in the creative life of God!