Faith Formation for Youth (6th-12th grade)
The goal of youth ministry at Second Presbyterian is the transformation of lives through relationship with God and with one another. At Second, we believe that young people need opportunities for meaningful experiences of faith, authentic relationships with other youth and with adults, and the freedom to play joyfully together. We seek to provide these opportunities throughout the program year and during the summer for the 80+ youth who are involved in our programs.
Sunday School is offered September – May from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
*Click HERE to view our 2019-2020 Christian Education Booklet with details about education opportunities for all ages!
Sunday School – 10:00-10:45 a.m.
- 6th-7th Grade, Sunday School (in The Intersection)
- 8th Grade, Confirmation (in The Intersection)
- 9th-12th Grade, Senior High Breakfast Club (in the Library of the main building)
Youth Group at The Intersection, 5:00-6:30 p.m.
- All 6th-12th grade youth are invited to join us at The Intersection for our weekly Youth Group. We have dinner, hang out, play games, and engage in conversation about faith, scripture, and life. Youth Group is led by the Associate Pastor for Youth and a team of fantastic adult advisors. Come and check it out! Contact Rachel Thompson if you have any questions about how Youth Group works.
- Every other week, high school girls gather at the home of a church member for dinner and crafts, conversation and devotions. The group is well attended each week and has provided a safe space for girls to connect and grow. If your daughter is interested in participating, or if you are interested in hosting Manna at your home, please contact Rachel Thompson.
Similar events for high school guys and middle school girls happen on a sporadic basis. Sign up for our email list to receive updates.
All Youth Retreat
Every fall we take a giant group of youth and advisors to Claytor Lake for a fun and meaningful retreat. This year’s retreat is October 5-6, 2019.
Every year in November, our Middle School students collect and deliver food for the Presbyterian Community Center.
One Sunday each year, the youth are responsible for the leadership of both morning worship services. They sing, pray, read scripture, preach, usher, and plan the entire service. It is always encouraging to learn from them and see their leadership in action. Youth Sunday 2019 was on February, 3.
Morning VBS Volunteering
Volunteering for Vacation Bible School is our highest attended youth summer activity. 40+ youth join us every summer as volunteer leaders. After VBS each day we plan a fun activity to thank volunteers for their hard work.
Senior High Mission Trip
Every other summer our High School youth go on a domestic mission trip. In 2019, we will travel to Knox County, Kentucky to work with Appalachia Service Project and do minor home repair for families in need. Past trips include Harlan County in Kentucky, Broad Street Ministry in Philadelphia, and Beth El Farmworker Ministry in Florida.
Bibles and Bricks trip to San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic
Every other summer we take a trip of high school and college aged youth to the Dominican Republic to work with Solid Rock International. We lead VBS for kids in the neighborhood, and spend time with our friends at Solid Rock. Our church has had a long term partnership with this incredible ministry, and we are glad for the chance for our youth to experience the work they are doing.
Massanetta Springs Middle School Conference
Each summer we take a group of middle school students to the Middle School Conference at Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center. This trip provides opportunities for our middlers to learn, grow, play, and experience faith together.
Montreat Youth Conference
All high school students are invited to join us each summer for the Youth Conference at Montreat Conference Center in Montreat, North Carolina. Our youth love the chance to learn and grow, make new friends from churches across the country, and relax together in a beautiful and fun environment.